Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hopes and Improvements for The New Year

It's that time of the year, time to start making our New Year's resolutions lists and wish for more willpower into the new year. I've been thinking a lot about resolutions lately. I absolutely LOVE lists, and ANY excuse to make one is good in my book. This year, though, I really want to make a list of "resolutions" that I actually keep, instead of a random list of things that would be nice but irrelevant come the 2nd. So how do I do that?

First, I'm throwing away the resolution bit. Way too much baggage and laziness comes with that word. I've heard other people instead prefer a list of "goals", which is an improvement but I think I've come up with one better. This year, I will be making a list of 'Hopes and Improvements for The New Year'. Good name, right? I think it has a much nicer ring than "resolution", and instead of the guilty and undisciplined feeling I get when I think resolution, I'm instead getting an excited and...kinder to myself feeling. Let's just say I will be much happier following a list of 'Hopes and Improvements' than 'resolutions'.

Now, onto my second problem, the actual goals themselves. As I've said, I LOVE making lists, the more detailed the better. This means that when I make a goal to read more, I can't resist adding onto it until I have a goal to read exactly 2.3 books every week until I die. It's fun, but most of the time I get overwhelmed by trying to reach my super-special specific goal that I lose the spirit of the original one, and give up altogether. So this year, I'm not going to take away the fun of making those specific plans, but I am going to keep the original goals, and those plans will be the ones that really matter.

Finally, I've been thinking about the date of "resolutions", New Year's Eve and Day. Since I'm now making a no-pressure list for a better life, why wait for an arbitrary date to start making improvements? So, in the spirit of an unconventional resolution list, I'm going to start today!

2 comments:

  1. I like your thought process and the title "Hopes and Improvements for the New Year"... mind if I follow your lead? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita: Thank you, and I'd love you to! Maybe we can start a movement ^_^

    ReplyDelete