Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve Munchies

One of my 'Hopes and Improvements' for the New Year was to start cooking more. So today I made two corn-centric recipes from Jacques Pépin's Kitchen: Cooking with Claudine.



I started with the Cold Corn Soup, which I made into a Hot Corn Soup, and added some Little Corn Dumplings, which were more like Little Corn Fritters. To be honest, when I read that I needed to puree the soup I was pretty sure the meal was going to be a disaster, but I was pleasantly surprised. The onion, potato, corn and milk really worked well together, and the texture wasn't as awful as I was expecting it to be. If I make it again I'll probably use a sieve to get a smoother texture, and add some cornstarch to thicken the soup up a little bit more. The "dumplings" were good too, but they lose their heat pretty quickly so you need to eat them fast. I think I'm going to give each recipe 3 1/2 stars out of five. If I can work on the soup recipe and make the texture a little more appealing, that could easily jump to 4 or 4 1/2 stars. Not too bad starting out ^_^ Now on to the mimosas!

No comments:

Post a Comment