Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Quote Post

I love quotes like nobody's business. Little snippets of wisdom or hilarity that tell so much in just a few words. I go hunting for them when I can't formulate the right combination of words myself for what I'm feeling or thinking, and I never come up empty-handed. Here are just a few of the many quotes that I love.

Those who fear the imagination condemn it: something childish, they say, something monsterish, misbegotten. Not all of us dream awake. But those of us who do have no choice.
~ Patricia McKillip

Most things break, including hearts. The lessons of life amount not to wisdom, but to scar tissue and callus.
~ Wallace Stegner

If the world were really a logical place, men would ride side-saddle
~ Unknown

Joy's smile is much closer to tears than laughter
~ Victor Hugo

Carlos: So, what, were they psychos, or...
Seth: Did they look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!
~ From Dusk Till Dawn

It is a fine thing to establish one's own religion in one's heart, not to be dependent on tradition and second-hand ideals. Life will seem to you, later, not a lesser, but a greater thing.
~ D. H. Lawrence

4 comments:

  1. I used to save quotes; I mean like 30 years and more ago. I typed them on colored index cards without lines on them. I used an old Czech manufacture typewriter that I got real cheap, maybe even free somewhere, or my sister did and gave it to me. It got me through college, typing my stuff and my friend's stuff.
    This, of course, was long before PCs. It's gone by the way as well as an electric that we got from a friend or my wife when she got it from her father.
    I'm spoiled with a PC.
    I should have saved a typewriter for filling out forms that are not online. My hand writing is atrocious, always was and I can type faster than write. I took it in high school almost forty years ago. Used it in college, in the army and in some other jobs I've had. Now with computers.

    What the hell was my point?

    Oh, quotes. My wife made fun of them, so I got rid of them. She caused me to get rid of a lot of stuff. I still have her. mmmmmmm.

    I still like quotes and do save some now and again.

    Like your blog,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collect antique/vintage typewriters! I've never used them though, since they're a little fragile. I do remember typing away when I was younger at one my mom had, before we got our first PC. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think it would be fun to get one again to play with, if only for the nostalgia factor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allow me to introduce myself......It's me, not you me, but me me and almost everybody calls me London. You have inspired me! I have just begun my blog and seem to have the idea that I'll go in alphabetical order. And so tonight I shall figure out a way to include some of my most loved quotes, starting with B is for.....Follow me, and I will never ask you to drink Kool Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi London! Thank you for your comment, and I really love the idea to alphabetize your posts, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I love me some Kool Aid, but the minute you start talking about this great hippie commune away from it all...yeah...

    ReplyDelete